Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I should be finishing my Merino Lace socks, but I keep starting other projects...

I have been seduced by all the photos of Clapotis and finally begun one for myself. It's one of those patterns where I can't picture exactly what I'm doing. I'm just following it line by line and hoping it all works out. I'm using Fleece Artist kid silk, which, believe it or not, was more of a bargain than any of the other options at my LYS. I only have 550 metres of yarn, which is slightly less than the pattern calls for, so I may leave out a repeat in the centre just to make sure that I don't run out.

My husband was very good and let me use him as a human swift last night to wind the yarn, in exchange for opening one of his Christmas presents early.



I'm also midway through My So-Called Scarf.



If I make it again, I think I'll use larger needles and cast on a few more stitches than it calls for.

Yesterday, I picked up a canvas and frame to make a Christmas gift for my mom. I used a section of last month's resist dyeing project. When I first completed it, this was how I wanted to show it - in sections, framed like paintings so I thought I'd give it a try. John, who is often ambivalent about my artwork, really loves it and I'm very happy with the way it turned out too. We'll see what my mom thinks.



Pardon the sheen in the photos! I can't manage to get a good photo that accurately gets the colour. Either the flash bounces off the silk or the sun does.

This week I also signed up with Secret Pal 7. I'm absolutely thrilled about it! I'm also spinning again with a drop spindle, but it's been so long that I feel like a complete klutz!

1 comment:

chris said...

The kid silk you chose for your Clapotis is just gorgeous!! I love that shade of green and the sheen is beautiful. I think I may be jumping on the Clapotis bandwagon next year, too. It's so hard to resist, seeing all the beautiful ones out there! Your DH is such a keeper, acting as a human swift. ;-) Your mom's gift is just beautiful! She will certainly love it. Take care! :-)