Sunday, December 18, 2005

Finally on break...

Here is the much belated photo of my Branching Out Scarf. It didn't turn out quite as long as I wanted, but it was a stash buster project and actually, the length is fine for a dressy scarf (just not the multi-wrap sort). It's a great pattern. I may make another one some time in the New Year.




Close-up:



For my final hollowware project, I managed to mix knitting and metalsmithing. I really love working with wire and textile techniques. It's kind of an addiction of mine. I don't know if anyone has ever read the short story, The Collector of Hearts, by Joyce Carol Oates, but this assembled piece is dedicated to it. The heart-vessel gets tidily wrapped up in fabric, and is meant to be kept inside the knitted copper sac. (It doesn't look like copper, as I dipped it in a mixture of liver of sulfur and ammonia to give it an incadescent sort of colouring).



Today, a friend came over for a knitting session. I'm teaching her how to knit socks, but she is left-handed, which means everything she does looks vaguely alien to me, while everything I do probably looks alien to her as well. I'm not sure I'm going to be all that helpful! While she was here I completely frogged the mittens (Meida's Mittens) I was working on. After finishing one, I still didn't love them. The cuff length was awkward - long but not pinched in at any point - and I couldn't figure out who would want such a thin pair of mittens in this cold climate. Instead, now I'm using the yarn for a pair of socks from Folk Socks.

No matter what, I'm looking foward to doing a lot more knitting over the holidays, and having a slightly lighter course load next semester so that I can knit madly through the winter months.

2 comments:

chris said...

Your Branching Out is just gorgeous!! I love the rich chocolate color. Your stitch detail is really beautiful. And I LOVE your knitted copper sac! So cool and very pretty. Your friend is so lucky to have you to teach her how to knit. I'm so glad your semester is finally over. That must be a big sigh of relief. Wishing you lots of R&R and much-deserved knitting time!! Take care! :-)

Iris said...

Good to see you back! Your Branching Our looks fabulous - I don't think I've seen one in that colour before.

I'd love to see more of your art projects...

And regarding xmas knitting, maybe the way forward is to really start knitting this winter for xmas next year. But then again, that would require an amount of discipline I may just not be able to deliver... ;-)