Thursday, May 11, 2006

Have good summer everyone!














I am headed on a journey of sorts.

I guess I should begin by saying that the past two weeks have been hectic. We moved to a smaller flat the last week of April. This is because J is not going to be with me during my last year of school. He is going back to school too, but unfortunately his program of study isn't offered in Halifax, so I'll be on my own with our kitties.
















On the second of May, we flew to Canada's capital, Ottawa. Ottawa is actually home to both us. John was born here. It's my adopted home. Most of our friends and family are here. We've been taking advantage of the beautiful weather to go mountain biking and hiking in Gatineau Park. This is Pink Lake, which is a meromictic lake, which is a fancy way of saying the water layers never mix. The algae turns the water pink in the fall, hence the name. I've only ever seen it like that once.


The trails are beautiful but my leg muscles responded to the fun by turning to jelly at the end of the day.

We have more travelling to do as of tomorrow. We are headed for the northwest corner of the province of Alberta. For us, the summer marks the beginning of our work season. During the summer, we plant trees and ocassionally perform other types of forestry-related work. We spend most of our time in bush camps and fly-ins, and the outside world ceases to exist for the time being. I have a carefully assembled bag of sock projects packed away, but unfortunately, most of my knitting stash and my beloved weaving all have to stay behind.















I meant to have these Estonian socks finished before I left. Somehow that has not happened.







This is my almost completed "Hawaii" weaving. I've since finished the trim, but it didn't care for flying and now it needs to be re-blocked.





I hope everyone has a wonderful summer!!! I will miss browing all of your blogs and seeing what you've been up to.

6 comments:

yarnahoy said...

What a beautiful piece! How did you get it to be lacy like that in the middle?
Regards,
Manasi

SpiderWomanKnits said...

Your journey sounds exciting and your pictures are beautiful.

Have a wonderful time. I am sure you will have a lot to share when you get back to the blogosphere and I look forward to hearing about it.

My best to you

~Abi

Lori said...

Thanks for all your kind words, Say, and have a wonderful summer too!
Your socks are gorgeous!

yarnahoy said...

When you get back, I would love to hear about the patterns you use for leno. I only have a 4 shaft loom & it would be great to hear from a textile guru such as yourself about the kinds of lace i can weave on it.
Have a GREAT summer.
regards :)
Manasi

Donyale said...

Take Care Say - those photos really reminded me of Fernie and those great walks we used to go on. See you end of our winter ;)

Jana said...

Have a great summer Say! What great country you're going through already. Take lots of pictures and tell us about your adventures in the fall! Be safe!