Saturday, April 01, 2006

My Purl's Snake-along is coming along, slowly but surely.

We've been working supplementary weft techniques at school. We sampled about a dozen techniques, and then we were free to experiment with what we liked best. My favourite techniques were one called closed shed pick-up (where one threads a stick through the areas he or she wants to cover with supplementary threads) and Leno, which is a type of open weave or gauze weave.

The pick-up is fun as it's a way to 'draw' on the warp. I played around with it and wove all sorts of wavy lines. I used invisible thread as for the main weft, and thicker, darker thread for the pick-up.



After I finished that I dyed and discharged another warp. Somehow, because the colours reminded so much of Hawaii and my best friend who lives there, it became a gift to her while I was working on it.



I still have many, many ends to weave in and it needs to blocked, but I've been lazy about finishing this week.



On a sad note, My Secret Pal, Lori, lost her mother this week. I'm trying to send her lots of positive thoughts from Nova Scotia.

1 comment:

chris said...

You always do the most amazing weaving work! I know absolutely nothing about weaving or looms, but I know that your projects are always incredibly beautiful to look at. I love that turquoise/ teal color for your friend in Hawaii- it reminds me of the ocean, too. I'm so sorry to hear about your SP's mom- it must be such a difficult time for her family. Thank you so much for your support and good wishes this past week- it really meant a lot to me. Hope all is well with you.. take care, Say! :-)