Saturday, April 30, 2011

Making things....

In the Garden
Encaustic, copper with patina, Japanese paper

This week I am starting a class in encaustic. I have been fiddling around with it at home for a little over a year but I'm excited to learn more. I don't feel like I currently have a lot of control over the process, although I am often pleasantly surprised by my results. I think wax is naturally very forgiving that way.


Handwoven Scarf in navy blue

I've also been doing a lot of 'regular' weaving. I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I've discovered that it's sometimes trying to work on complex twills (with finicky copper) with a two-year old assistant. I use Nuno felting techniques on my scarves to lightly full or felt them. I stretch the scarf out, cover it with soapy water, and then we roll it up in plastic and she sings "roll, roll, roll."

As you can see, she puts her heart and soul into it.

Starry Night, Northern Alberta

My other new love is cross-stitch embroidery. Lately I have been feeling nostalgic for the landscape of northern Alberta, for shadowy black spruce trees on the horizon.


Dancing Feet

For years, I have wanted to knit copper socks (or feet). Years! I finally did it and then I hung them and sprayed them with patina.


No comments: