Monday, February 20, 2006

A big thank you to my Secret Pal!!!



There's yarn, bamboo needles, soap and notecards. I'm going to use the yarn for socks from my latest Nancy Bush book. I can't wait to start them, but I need to survive the Knitting Olympics first...




As you can see, this is not exactly the effort of a Knitting Olympian. The fact that I misread the increase increments (every 2nd and then every 4th row, not every 2nd and 4th) and had to frog three days knitting didn't help. I'm like the Canadian cross-country skier who broke a pole. We'll see if I can catch up.

I have a giant weaving project on my loom this week which is distracting me. It's not all that exciting, but it has around 900 threads and I spent all day yesterday threading my heddles.

This is my completed twill blanket.

I actually think it's simply going to be a closet curtain. We live in one of those old fashioned north eastern houses with closets that were built almost as afterthoughts and have no doors. I tried to get a good photo of it stretched out, but my flash kept washing out the colours, so close-up and folded it is.

I hope those of you out there competing in the Knitting Olympics are having more luck than me! And uh-oh... the Finns and the Swiss have really put the Canadian men's hockey team in their place.

4 comments:

Donyale said...

Say I love the colours - it looks great! Keep going with the Olympic Project - that will be the challenge in itself won't it!

Jana said...

Congrats on the secret pal gift! I've read that Trekking sock yarn is supposed to be terrific. And your weaving is great, the knitting podcast I listen to mentioned a weaving podcast this week- http://www.weavecast.com/ don't know anything about it, but I am becoming addicted to the podcasts lately...

chris said...

What a wonderful package from your Secret Pal!! The sock yarn is especially beautiful. And your twill blanket is absolutely gorgeous!! The colors and intricacy are amazing. I'd love to learn more about the process of weaving someday- the products you create are so incredible to me. Take care, Say! :-)

Savannah Sandblasting said...

Much appreciate you sharing this.