Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Hm… I’m a sock addict so I guess sock yarns would be at the top of my list, particularly anything like superwash merino. I’ll try any fibre that looks exciting or interesting once. I’m not a fan of synthetics as I can’t wear them, and they never seem to have the same drape or resiliency as natural fibres.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

A big messy Ikea basket.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Five years. I’d call myself an intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes… but it would not be fair to inflict that on anyone!

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

Vanilla or anything not overly floral.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I weave. I’m into surface design. I’ve done a meagre amount of spinning and would like to get better at it but there’s never enough time.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like folk, groups like Radiohead, Bjork, Wilco, Rachel’s. I’m stuck back in the days of the CD.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Orange… greens… anything dark and moody. Not pink!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I have a husband (from whom I am spending the year apart as we are both back in school, but our programs are in different cities). I have two kitties who help keep me company and well stocked with lint-rollers.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I wear scarves, hats and mittens.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Socks.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Baudelaire socks, and a wraparound shawl from Rebecca online.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I think my favourite sock knitting needles are casseine or bamboo but I have a large collection of aluminum ones too. In general, I’m not that picky.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I have access to both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Two months.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

American Thanksgiving. Now that I live in Canada, I miss it.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Let’s just say I have a rabid Star Wars obsession (and yes, I saw all six as they premiered.)

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I am forever in search of Alice Starmore’s Book of Fair Isle Knitting. My old library had a copy and I checked it out so often I had it at home for nearly a year. It’s out of print, impossible to find, and occasionally shows up on E-Bay, but never goes for less than $150 starting. If only they would republish it…

No Secret Pal! I would never expect anything like this. They asked!

When it comes to magazines, I’m fond of anything by Interweave Press, including Fibre Arts, Handwoven and Interweave Knits.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

For the life of me. I can’t figure out how to crochet more than a chain. I’d also like to tackle simple garment construction.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes, yes. Size nine, average foot I think.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

October 11th.

No comments: